About Me

Saturday, July 16, 2011

You Give and Take Away

I have not been looking forward to writing this post. Partly because of my difficulty to actually sit down and write and partly because I’m not going to enjoy writing about what I’m about to write.

Last week was not a normal weekend at Camp-of-the-Woods. Last Saturday was not a normal day. Regardless of the beautiful weather that weekend, a shadow seemed to have fallen all over the campus. I wish not to go into detail at this moment, but you should know that there has been pain, confusion, shock, and prayers throughout the camp over what happened on Saturday. One of the staff workers went kayaking with a friend and fell out of the kayak. Not knowing how to swim, he drowned. It was nightmarish to hear of this news at staff dinner that night. At that point they hadn’t found him, so they had no answers for us. They found his body on Tuesday, adding a bit more closer to this miserable ordeal. Prayers were and still are being continuously lifted for the Perez family and Pam, Anthony’s girlfriend, who was with him at the time of the accident. Please continue to pray for a peace and comfort for them as they cope for the loss of a loved one.

Multiple thoughts and feelings raced through my head when I found out about the accident. I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to think about it. I wanted to escape in my head to a world in which suffering never happens. I wanted to know answers, and yet I didn’t want to know. I hate the feeling you get in your stomach when you find out about accidents such as these. Every time you envision it, it’s like a rock is rolling around in your body and you just want to think it never happened and it’s just a dream. I wasn’t mad at God, but it broke my heart to think of a death like drowning happening to anyone.

The important thing that I had to remind myself of was God is a great God. He is working in situations even when we don’t understand why or how. Another important thing to remember is that God is working for the redemption of man. The world may be fallen and filled with sin, but we may rejoice in the fact that a loving God created us and is still working in us in order to make all things right.

We rejoice that Anthony’s life is in our Lord’s hands. He was a believer, so we have the comfort that he is with the Lord right now. It has been awesome to feel the closeness of God in times of pain and suffering. For God is still God, and God is still good.

Throughout this whole week, the lyrics to Blessed Be Your Name has consoled and uplifted me, and I pray it will do the same for you. Whatever you’re going through, in what feels to be the darkest hour of your life, blessed be the Lord’s name, who gives life to all. Praise the Lord.

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kate--that's awful. I'm sorry, I worked at a camp like that so I can't even imagine what it must be like to go through that. I commend you, though, for your response in this situation. It takes a very strong and mature person to be able to take something like this and see it in a better light and to be comforted in knowing God has it all. I will be thinking of you and the other staff at COTW...hope you are well otherwise.

    ReplyDelete