About Me

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Umbrella Parade

You would have thought that Carnivale had continued on through this weekend with the colorful umbrella processional we had going on today.

 Today we went to Siena. From hearing all the great things about Siena, I was really excited to check it out for myself. We knew the weather was going to be somewhat crummy, so we all brought our umbrellas, two layers of socks, and comfy shoes. Although my shoes were comfortable, they were quite soggy by the end of the day. It rained, and believe it or not, snowed the whole time we were in Siena. It did not help that our tour was mainly an outdoor walking tour. The wind was blowing, the temperature was about 23 below zero (ok, not that bad, but it was in the thirties). I’m not exactly sure of all that our tour guide said. To be honest, I zoned out 90% of the time, because I was trying to transport blood circulation into my toes by wiggling them to create friction. I’m not sure I was actually wiggling them though, because my toes were too numb to tell.

 Once the tour was over, a couple of us ran into a restaurant to eat. As we were eating, we looked out the window at the snow that was coming down pretty hard. Apparently, snow hardly ever happens in Siena, so I noticed a couple Italians with their noses pushed up against the window at the snowy spectacle. Although the snow was beautiful, we were all eager to make a dash to the bus to warm our little toesies.

 When Rachel and I were walking back to the apartment after the day was over, my cheap red umbrella began developing a mind of it’s own. Whenever the wind blew, without missing a single gust, would either pop out like all the nannies’ umbrellas in Mary Poppins, or do a little dance, making me look like an idiot who can’t hold an umbrella still. I couldn’t help but laugh at everyone else who were having the same difficulties with their strong-willed umbrellas. My umbrella died that night. It’s lying in the umbrella graveyard with all the other 3-euro parasols.

 Despite the yucky weather, Siena was beautiful, especially in the snow. But I am very happy that I will going back in May when my parents come. We’ll probably have to do another walking tour, because I only listened 10% of the tour guide’s information. Perhaps I’ll learn something next time. I Lord willing, I won’t have to use an umbrella.



The Piazza



Making the most of it

Staying warm and enjoying some tiramisu 


No comments:

Post a Comment