About Me

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring Break Part 2: Berlin

The next stop on my spring break trip was Berlin. Let me tell ya, the history there is upfront and personal. We were fortunate to have a walking tour in each city, but Berlin’s tour was exceptionally interesting. It’s crazy to think how recent all the history is also. We walked where Hitler walked, where the border crossing was (Checkpoint Charlie), saw where artists painted freedom-statement murals on the East Side of the Berlin Wall. History is fascinating (I am my mother’s daughter), so it was incredible to experience Berlin after learning about it in World History since middle school.

 We arrived in Berlin on St. Patrick’s Day, so there were some festivities at the awesome hostel bar, Belushi’s. I ate a Kraut Burger, which was nom nom worthy. I did a couple Giada DiLaurentis “mmmm’s” when I ate it. There were two guys singing some live music. Naturally we joined in singing at the top of our lungs when they played “Ho Hey” and “Wonderwall.” Seriously, every hostel we stayed in was legit. If you ever go to Amsterdam, Berlin, or Paris, stay at St. Christopher’s Inn. They’ve got great rooms, good food, and nice staff.

 The last night we had the traditional German food, bratwurst, sauerkraut, potatoes, and Apple Strudel. Have I made you drool yet? Cause I just did. I love being able to try all of this traditional food in these countries. If only I had a job that required travelling and eating food. I could be the next female Anthony Bourdain. Only without the foul language and cigarettes. But I think I’d have to be able to come up with more descriptive words other than “AMAZING” and “SO GOOD.” I’ll work on it.




East Side Gallery
    


The Holocaust Memorial

The Holocaust Memorial


No comments:

Post a Comment