About Me

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Camp-of-the-Woods: Promo

I leave for camp Wednesday. I feel like there’s still so much to do here before I leave and I feel like I should begin packing up or something. After all, four days doesn’t give a girl much time to pack! It’s a multiple day drudgery! And yet, I haven’t started yet. In my head I’m getting super excited but I’m not excited about packing up. Time for team motivation to kick in! While I’m letting that kick in, I thought I might tell you a little bit about Camp-of-the-Woods so you can see why I’m so excited.


Camp-of-the-Woods (Camp-of-Woods.org) is in Speculator, New York in the Adirondack Mountains. It’s a 100 year old, 90 acre Christian family camp surrounded by beautiful landscapes and beautiful people. Amazing speakers from all over the country come and speak at the camp with featured speakers every week. Because it’s a family camp, not only with there be young children running around playing, but parents, grandparents, and great grandparents will be there. It’s a smorgasbord of people! Did I mention the lake is gorgeous, full of sailboats, kayaks and canoes? At least I think it is. I’ve spent a enough time staring at the pictures on the website to begin to get some ideas of it’s greatness. Becky said it almost should be called a resort. Geez! I’m going to be spoiled this summer! I deeply apologize if any of this comes across as bragging or anything (“My horse is bigger than you horse” type thing). I don’t mean it to be. I’m just so fortunate to be a part of something like this for the summer. It’s the type of work that I love to do, being in a beautiful place, working with children, basking in God’s glory.


Okay, so I won’t be the teacher in the class, but I will be the teacher’s assistant, which is what I wanted. That way, it will give me a chance to interact with the kids on a closer level and give me freedom to move about, not just in the classroom, but around the camp as well. This is because a TA has the freedom to help out in other areas of the camp too, like work in the bookstore, the Tee-Pee, and other areas. Plus, I’m glad I don’t have the stress of lesson planning. I’d rather play with the kids ha. But no, I can’t wait to get into the classroom and meet these kids. 1st grade is where it’s at. What what!


That’s honestly all I know about my job at the moment. When I get to camp June 8th, we’ll do preseason work for about a week and then training the next week. I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of the staff as well. Becky’s been filling me in on the people that will be returning and people I should keep my eye out for…in a non-creepy way, of course. I feel like I’ll be introducing myself as, “Kate, Becky’s sister,” which I’m totally fine with because I think Becky left a good reputation there…I hope.


Once I get to camp, I’ll be able to give the deets on all the excitement going on at camp. Meanwhile, time for me to do laundry.

1 comment: