About Me

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thank You, Wright Brothers


No specific reason compels me to write this post except to take up time while sitting in the Philadelphia International Airport waiting for my flight to Albany. I'm sitting on the sunny side of the terminal because the air on the plane from Charlottesville to Philly practically froze my little tosies off. I have my coffee in hand (much needed after the four o'clock wake-up call) and a $3 muffin sitting next to me while I write. This post is completely random and has no connection to my experience at camp (Obvi, since I'm not there yet), but these are my thoughts on my standpoint of flying. I thought I would take this time to convey to you my deepest affections for flying. no sarcasm. Consider this my love letter to the invention of aviation. Hats off to you, Wright Brothers.

As I was flying to Philadelphia, my forehead glued to the undersized window, I couldn't help but think, I could go there. I could go there. I could go anywhere. My thoughts began sounding like a Dr. Seuss book. Of course the plane couldn't land anywhere, but the concept that I could travel anywhere lingered in my head. If I could go anywhere, I wonder where I'd go? To Las Vegas, or Monaco? At this point, my thoughts transferred from Dr. Seuss poems to ABBA lyrics. That's the way this brain works. Anyways, it got me thinking about how big this world is. Duh Kate! This world is so vast and explorable (yes, that is not a real word). And creation is just so beautiful. I've said before one of God's biggest visible gift to us is creation, and I stand by that. The Creator of the Universe is so darn creative, it blows me away!! Holy Cow. Okay, settle down, Kate. I can't wait to expand my understanding of this world and travel to the places I've only dreamt about my whole life. Studying abroad couldn't come soon enough!

I know everyone has their own opinions about flying. Flyers can fall into three categories: One category of flyers falls into the people who absolutely despise flying and avoid it at all costs to the point of rather dying. That's the extreme case, and I've only heard this reasoning once. Another category are the people that are indifferent. Almost every business man, I'm assuming, falls into this category. The other category are the ones who try to come up with excuses to fly. I fall into the latter. I'm the person who says, "We're going to Maryland?
Why not fly??"
My parents were very forbearing with me growing up in their house because I would ask this question for just about every one of our family trips. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE road trips. If you know me at all, you know I love travelling by just about any mode of transportation. Sketchy public buses, rickety old bicycles, a mall cop's segway. Give me a window with a view, and I'm set. But there's something about the view from an airplane, the feel of the plane lifting its wheels off the ground as if I myself am Wilbur the albatros from The Rescuers Down Under. It's exhilarating. If I had the patience (and the money), I would totally get a pilot's license. Only one request I ask when I fly:
"Can I have a window seat, please??"


Even the airports fascinate me. I actually enjoy sitting in the airport, It's only pleasant, though, when your flight isn't cancelled or you're dashing to the appropriate gate only to find your plane just left. When those are not the sorrowful scenarios, I greatly enjoy observing late comers hurdling over small children and dodging old women and their dog carriers to get to their gate on time. It's quite comical. People watching is the best past time when you're sitting in an airport.

Welp, I've rambled on about that long enough. I've still got about an hour and a half in the airport until my flight leaves. So I think I'll go scoff at the overpriced trinkets as if they are to blame for their considerable expense. Can't wait to get to camp and meet everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Kate, you have a gift for creative writing! I enjoyed this thoroughly! :)

    ReplyDelete