About Me

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Consider It All Joy


It’s been a week here at camp and I’m trying to figure out if it seems like I’ve been here for a while or feels like I just got here. If I think about the amount of work I’ve done in a day, it feels like forrrr-ehh-ver *insert Squint’s voice. * If I think about the week as a whole, it feels like it was just yesterday that I arrived at camp. This will most likely be a recurring feeling throughout the summer as I am beginning to realize the amount of work that goes into each day here. The entire faculty here works (at least) 55-hour weeks. They are insane. The only way staff gets through the day with a positive attitude is through the Lord’s strength. forreal. It’s been a challenge for me to keep a positive outlook while pulling a “Cinderella” on every staircase in the camp. House keeping is not my permanent job for the summer, but it will be my job every Saturday, and heaven knows I’ll have to whistle while I work in order to keep a cheerful demeanor

We have devotionals every day. With devotionals, usually one of the full-time shares a short devotional/message before breakfast. Despite the groggy appearances of the “morning loathers” on this specific morning, one of the staff, Tim Trezise, shared something that caused my baggy eyes to open from their half awake state.

This summer, I knew I wanted a job. And I thought camp would be the ideal job. I would get to meet awesome people, have memorable experiences, make some moolah, and serve the Lord in a beautiful place. Although serving the Lord was in the equation, it was not at the top of the list, because I was thinking of this as a job. But Tim shared something this morning that may seem elementary, but nonetheless it impacted me. What we’re doing here at camp is not a job, but a ministry. Everyone has been called to serve the Lord, whether it’s scrubbing the stairs of Zeitfuss Lodge or going overseas. And serving the Lord should be done with a joyful heart that is glorifying to Him.

This summer is going to be a challenge. The Lord is going to test and push me in ways I never thought I could be pushed. I’m going to be physically and emotionally tired. James 1:2-4 says, “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trails, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” But the amazing thing is that I want to be challenged. I need to be challenged. In order to grow in your walk with Christ, it’s important to be pushed to further the walk. I’m not going to lie, I’m tired and worn. It’s my nature. But the Lord is my strength, and I’m eager to learn what He is going to teach me.

On another note, we had our End-of-Pre-season party tonight and it was a blast. The staff enjoyed good conversations with each other and volleyball on the beach. And I must say, we clean up nicely. After a week of wearing stinky, sweaty t-shirts, it was nice to see people in some decent clothing ha. I’m enjoying so much getting to know each and every one of these people and they make my life a little richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment